Monday, March 23, 2009

Bye Bye Curt!

And one of baseball's most polarizing figures says goodbye, finally.

Schilling is an interesting figure for many reasons: the immense talent, the flare for the dramatic, the chip on his shoulder, the fantastic pitching in big games, the unwillingness to choose his words carefully.

I used to read his blog, but to be honest, I got a little tired of reading Schilling on Schilling. His writing tone always came across to me as slightly defensive, even when there was no cause to be. I think that's the tone that wore on people, eventually.

I did think it was amusing that his retirement comes with "no regrets." If I'd been paid $8M last year to do nothing, a regret might be hard to find for me too.

3 comments:

  1. I remember him being scary-good for the Phillies waaaay back when they met the Jays in the World Series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Schilling/Johnson combination was amazing... It was really only when he got to Boston that he became a more annoying individual than his playing could compensate for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone else is being sought to do nothing, I would gladly step in for only FOUR million $$$...

    ReplyDelete