Friday, May 8, 2009

Sports Shorts

  • Sad to hear that Dom DiMaggio died this morning at the great age of 92.
  • The Manny Ramirez saga that kicked off yesterday was surprising to me, and for some reason and despite my weariness with big stars using PEDs, I believe Manny's prescription story. That doesn't change the fact that he's a cheater-cheater-pumpkin-eater, but until I hear any further evidence of greater intention, I'm calling this situation disappointing, but not fatal. Serve the suspension, come back, play ball.
  • And by the way, how are all athletes not hyper-vigilant about checking with the league when doctors prescribe things for them?
  • The Washington-Pittsburgh series in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs is unbelievable. Both Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin had hat tricks in the second game of the series. Through the first three games, the two of them have 9 goals combined. NINE! I can't wait to see how this series ends.
  • Players Championship this weekend... I love this tournament and am firmly in the "This Should be a Major" camp. Someday, I'll ask my husband to guest post why he thinks the PGA should drop the Masters from the list of Majors and add the Players. It's never gonna happen that way, obviously, but I love the argument, which boils down roughly to teaching Augusta that the tour is no longer going to stand for the things that Augusta stands for, and is no longer going to support a tournament that intentionally restricts fan access, and replace it with a tournament on a great course with wall-to-wall coverage, three great finishing holes and the potential for loads of drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment